Daal Kanda (डाळ कांदा )
Daal Kanda is an authentic maharashtrian recipe which is an 'all-time-favorite' in the most of the households specially in Satara region. Nothing tastes better than Bhakri and thecha with this easy to make spicy variant of daal. This is my Mother-in-law's another specialty which i love to eat even when i am not hungry.
You can also carry this when you are traveling. so here goes the recipe:
Tuwar Daal (तुअर दाल) - 1 cup
1 Medium sized Onion - finely chopped
2-3 green chillies- chopped finely
Salt-as per taste
Turmeric Powder- 1 teaspoon
Cumin Seed-1 teaspoon
Asafoetida (हिंग )
Oil for Tadka
- Take the daal in a bowl and wash thoroughly .
- Soak it in water for 30 minutes.
- Take oil in a thick and deep pot /kadhai and heat it.
- Add asafoetida cumin seeds ,green chillies,turmeric powder and chopped onions.
- Saute till brown.
- Add the soaked daal with 2 cup water. Add salt and kanda lasun masala.
- Cover the pot with a lid at .Keep the flame medium .
- Remember that the pulses should be tender enough to eat but not over cooked like the dal which we have with Rice.You can add some water if you want to enjoy the spicy rassa as shown in the picture.
- Serve hot with Bhakri and Thecha.