Kharwas (चीका / खरवस / जुन्नु)
This post is a sequel of my Food Fiesta in Indore :-)) and was a 'delicious surprise' for my taste-buds as I had Cheeka (चीका) -which is also know as खरवस / जुन्नु , almost after 10 years. This mouth watering delicacy is made from lactating cow's milk.I still remember the days when we used to live in small towns and cities like Dewas and Neemuch where our milkman always made sure that we get Cheeka especially in Winters.
Cheeka (चीका) as it is popularly called in Hindi, is usually prepared from the first 3 days milk of those cows who have given birth to calves. As a matter of fact, this is my Dad's specialty. He is always very enthusiastic to try his hands on various recipes and i must say they are yummm. so here comes the recipe :
1 litre lactating cows milk
Sugar ( you can increase or decrease the quantity of sugar as per your taste)
Cardamom Powder - 2 teaspoon
Nutmeg (जायफल / जायफळ ) Powder - 1 teaspoon
Charoli (चिरौंजी/ चारोळी) - 1 small packet
- Boil the milk and add sugar.Mix well.
- Let it cool to room temperature.
- Now add Cardamom powder , Nutmeg Powder and Charoli and mix well.
- Pour it in cooker pans and steam it for about 15 minutes
- You can also use Idli pot as it gives a consistent heat to the mixture.
- Let it cool down so that it sets well. Cut it into square pieces.
- It can be served immediately as well but my Dad prefers to keep it in the fridge for say an hour or so and the dish gets the full taste of cardamom and nutmeg and the sweetness is also consistent.
A lot of people add some milk as well and some also prefer making this with Jaggery instead of Sugar. So, enjoy this dessert which is not only tasty but also nutritious !!