Rasbhari Recipe- Jalebi
The moment you say Jalebi , you can't help but think about the juicy dessert which gives a 'heaven-like' experience to your taste buds. As a matter of fact , I was never too fond of sweets .But Jalebi was something I was always keen to make.as most of my family members have a sweet tooth. Also, being a true Indori at heart , it would be really unfair if i don't give a try to this all-time-favourite dish of Indori people. So when i was in 12th standard , I finally decided to try my hands on the recipe. Surprisingly i didn't ask anyone about the ingredients and did everything on my own as if I was an expert at it. And felt out-of-this world when the Jalebi's i made were appreciated by all. Till date i religiously follow the same recipe which is quite hassle free:
Ingredients: (For Batter)
Maida (all purpose floor) -250 gms
Besan (Chick-pea floor) - 2 tblspns
Curds - 1 cup
Baking Powder - 1 teaspoon
For Chashni (Sugar Syrup):
Sugar- 2 cup
Water -2 cup
Lemon Juice- 1 spoon
Few strands Saffron
Refined Ghee for deep frying
Serves : 4
- For the batter, mix all ingredients viz. Maida, Besan, Baking powder with curds in a bowl .
- Make sure that the batter is smooth and of a pouring consistency and there are no lumps. If you feel the quantity of curd is not sufficient to give consistency to it , add some warm water to it.
- Set the batter aside and keep it for fermenting for atleast 4-5 hours. During winters, you may have to keep it overnight .After fermenting , the texture of the batter changes a bit .
- For Chashni (चाशनी ) , mix sugar and water and boil for 25 minutes .
- Add lemon juice and saffron strands .
- For Jalebi's , heat ghee in a shallow pan (तवई) .
- To make Jalebi , I make a good use of the humble Ketchup dispenser :-)) So add some hot ghee in the batter .Mix well.
- Pour the batter in the dispenser and squeeze the jalebi batter in hot ghee to make Jalebis.
- Fry till brown.
- Put the friend jalebis in warm chashni . Let them soak-in for few seconds.
- Serve hot . You can also serve them with hot milk which is an ideal breakfast in winters to give you instant energy.
Would also like to add a picture of the famous jalebi from Chawani (छावनी) -Indore which is the best one i had till date. Though the picture is not that great, it gives me instant pleasure just to think about it.
So just try this recipe today and add give a special treat to yourself in this Gulabi Thandi !