Whenever i go to Indore, my Daddy is always geared up to take me out on a shopping spree . Here I would like to clarify that by 'shopping' i don't mean destinations meant for dresses and accessories. The places which we explore are Sindhi colony (for the yummy bakery products they offer), Palasiya (for the Namkeen) ,Sarafa / Prashant (for Poha/Jalebi/ Samosa) and what not :-)) In short we have a gala time in the food carnival like variety Indore offers. Not only this , he makes sure we get all possible things which we don't get here in Pune. Jada Aata ( जाडा आटा) is one such item. Don't think that this is something exotic. Infact it is our own wheat flour but slightly coarse. This is the basic ingredient for Bati (बाटी ) , Bafle (बाफले ), Churma (चूरमा ) and yes not to forget Ukarpendi (उकरपेंडी).
Ukarpendi is my Dad's all-time-favorite dish . He always urges my mom to add a handful of fresh peas in tadka and grated coconut for garnishing. This is a healthy and sumptuous item which you can have as a breakfast or even for dinner. Here is the recipe :
Coarse Wheat Flour (जाडा आटा) - 1 large katori
1 big Onion(finely chopped)
Green Chillies- 5 (finely chopped)
Asafoetida (हिंग ), Mustard Seeds (राई) , Oil and turmeric powder for tadka
Salt and Chilli Powder -as per taste
1 tspn sugar
2 large katori hot water
Chopped Coriander and Grated Coconut for Garnishing
- Dry Roast wheat flour till it turns brown.
- Heat oil in a pan and add asafoetida, mustard seeds , chopped chillies and turmeric powder.
- Add chopped onions and saute till brown. You can also add fresh peas .
- Now add the roasted flour, salt ,chilli powder and sugar and mix well.
- Add hot water .Adding hot water makes the flour fluffy and a nice steam which ensures a perfect taste.
- You can increase or decrease the quantity of water depending on the quality of wheat flour. Sometimes the flour doesn't absorb much water. So don't add the full quantity at the same time.
- Cover the pan for 5-7 minutes .
- Serve hot with a garnishing of grated coconut ,chopped coriander and sev.
- If you are planning to have it with dinner , you can serve it with fresh curds or Buttermilk .