Anjeer Barfi (Fig Fudge)
Come winter and I always remember my childhood days and how my Dad used to pamper me and my brother in this season. Winter -a season which sometimes is pleasant with everyone craving to bask in sunshine and sometimes rough enough to make it a season of 'suffering' to the poor.
My Dad always made sure that we eat a handful of dry-fruits in winter .He diligently used to cut cashews ,almonds ,walnuts , figs etc into small pieces and mix together so that each helping was pack with nutrition. Though i don't like all dry-fruits , Anjeer (fig) is my all time favorite. But any dessert with fig as an ingredient was a strict no-no till my Sister-in-law bought this Low Cal Anjeer Barfi and must say it was yumm.
Anjeer is not only tasty but is a rich source of fiber and calcium.So if you have a sweet tooth , you can opt for this no hassle recipe and can keep a check on your cravings:
50 gms anjeer
Sugar- 2 tblspn
Cardamom (इलाइची ) powder : 1 teaspoon
Almonds -5-6 (finely chopped)
- Soak anjeer in lukewarm water for 2-3 hrs or till they are tender
- Grind them into a puree (keep it bit coarse) and keep it aside
- Add water and sugar in a pan in equal quantity and prepare thick sugar syrup
- Add the puree and stir it continuously for 8-10 minutes
- Remove from fire. Now add chopped almonds and cardamom powder. Never add cardamom powder while cooking as it reduces the taste and fragrance
- Grease a plate and transfer the mixture and make sure it spreads evenly
- Cut into square pieces when the mixture is still lukewarm as the moment it cools down completely , the sugar syrup may make them hard
A lot of people also add mawa (खोया ) .But then the original taste of the fruit is lost to a great extent and off course the calorie content goes up. For parties, you can also make anjeer rabdi (अंजीर रबड़ी ) by adding milk to it which is very nutritious .
So try this quick and healthy dessert recipe and enjoy the pleasant season :-))