Whenever you think of 'light & delicious' food, I am sure South Indian delicacies have the 'top of the mind recall'..Hahahhh that sounds so very corporate. But as a matter of fact no one can miss the authentic taste of southern India. Be it the soft idli's ,the crispy Dosa or the irresistible Uttapam , no one can eat just one :-P
So when I saw my Chachi making these stuffed Idlis, i was not very sure about the idea . But later on I also tried my hands on the recipe and must say it was simply awesome. This stuffed version is a twist to the regular one which makes the dish more palatable. So take a look at the recipe:
- Rice - 2 cups
- Urad Dal - 1 cup
- Salt to taste
- Fenugreek seeds- 4-5
- Potatoes - 3 (medium sized)
- Green chillies -2-3 (finely chopped)
- Garlic Cloves- 2-3 (minced)
- Mustard seeds- 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder - 1 teaspoon
- Oil -1 spoon
- Salt to taste
- For the batter , soak rice and urad dal for 6-7 hours .
- Grind it with fenugreek seeds to a smooth paste .
- Keep the batter at a warm place and allow it to ferment overnight.
- Add salt and the batter is ready.
- For the stuffing, boil and mash the potatoes.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add minced garlic ,mustard seeds ,chopped chillies ,turmeric powder and mashed potatoes. Mix well and let it cool down for a while.
- Now, grease the Idli stand with little oil . Pour a tablespoon of the idli batter.
- Keep 1 spoon stuffing / bhaji on the batter.
- Pour some more batter on the top so that it covers the stuffing
- Steam the idlis for 10 minutes and yummy idlis are ready.
- Serve hot with Chilli-Peanut chutney or Sauce .
I am sure even kids are going to enjoy this recipe. If you are planning to organize a party for the kids or a kitty party for your friends , this can be an ideal dish which you can prepare in advance and can keep in a casserole .It is not only sumptuous but can also be a tasty substitute of the Potato wada .So try it today and am pretty sure this one's gonna be on the menu quite often :-)) Happy Cooking.