White Dhokla (चावल ढोकला )
Our Morning meeting started with discussing Gujju delicacies and how Gujarati people are passionate about food.When i was in school ,I had few Gujju friends and believe me their Lunch Box always had these irresistible varieties.Though some of the preparations are bit sweet but you can't resist thinking about Dhokla , Thepla , Undhiyu ,Khandvi , Fafda and the list goes on .Each dish offers something different to your taste buds. One such thing is the authentic White Dhokla or चावल ढोकला which is one of my favourites.This is not only delicious but healthy as well.The recipe is quite similar to the recipe for Idli . Take a look :
- 2 cup Rice
- 1 cup Urad Dal (उड़द दाल)
- 1 bowl Sour Curd (खट्टा दही)
- Ginger-Green Chilli Paste- 1 tablespoon
- 1 pouch Eno
- 1 spoon Black Pepper Powder (coarse)
- 1 spoon Fresh Lime Juice
- Fenugreek Seeds- 1 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- 2 teaspoon Asafoetida
- 2 teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- Curry Leaves
- 2-3 Green Chillies -slit
- 2 tablespoon oil
Serves: 4-6 people
- Wash and soak the Rice and Urad dal in separate containers for 7-8 hours then grind into thick batter.
- Add sour curd and fenugreek seeds to the batter and mix well.
- Allow it to ferment for minimum 8 hrs .
- After it ferments, add ginger-chilli paste , salt ,lemon juice and Eno powder. Mix well.
- Grease a plate with oil and pour some batter . Sprinkle black pepper powder on the top. You can also use the Idli Container which is quite convenient and gives consistent heat to the batter.
- Steam for 10 minutes . Let it cool down .
- Cut into pieces.
- For tempering , heat oil in a small pan and add asafoetida,mustard seeds, curry leaves and green chillies. Let them splutter and pour it on the dhokla pieces.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and Sev.
- Serve with Green Chutney.
You can give this dish to your children for lunch. Just avoid green chillies or minimise its quantity . I am sure they would love this tasty and sumptuous dish. Happy Cooking !