Vanilla ,Dates and Walnut Cake
As kids, me and my brother were always super excited about our birthday .Well that's so very obvious with all kids. But the reason for our excitement was the variety of cakes my Mom used to make every year. Every year she used to come up with a different variety and shape .I still remember that the list included a Maruti Car , A Cricket Ground , A Zoo and yeah not to forget the superb looking Hut made up with Gems and Chocolate Wafer Biscuits. Me and my brother used to fight a lot while deciding whose birthday cake was better.
I obviously learnt the art of baking a cake from my mom.She used Gas Tandoor and I also prefer using it till date. Though many a times cooking in a Gas tandoor is known as 'Blind Baking' (as there is no set temperature) ,the cake has a rich taste . So ,here's a simple recipe for a delicious cake:
- 125 gms Maida
- 125 gms Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Soda
- 1 teaspoon Ghee
- 1/2 katori Cream (malai)
- 1/2 katori mashed dates (seedless)
- 2 tablespoon Walnuts-finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- A pinch of yellow color
Preparation time : 20 mins
Cooking /Baking Time : 45 mins to 1 hr
- Sieve the Flour , Baking Powder and Soda together and keep it aside.
- Beat eggs, ghee and sugar for 5-10 minutes. Always beat eggs first then add ghee and then sugar. This helps in making the cake light and fluffy.
- Now add half portion of the flour mixture and beat for 7-8 mins.
- Add cream and beat for few seconds.
- Add the remaining portion of the flour mixture and beat again for 7-8 minutes.
- Lastly , add vanilla essence and beat thoroughly for few seconds.
- Grease the baking pan . Pour one layer of the batter .
- Put the mashed dates in a layer and then pour the remaining batter.
- Top the batter with chopped walnuts.
- Pre-heat the gas oven for 10 minutes.
- Put the pan in the oven and bake it for 45 minutes on slow flame.
- Usually the rich aroma of the baked cake is the first sign that the cake is ready. But to be sure it is always better to cross check or test.
- To test ,insert a toothpick and if it comes out clean , the cake is ready.
- Remove from the pan and let it cool down completely.
If you don't have a gas oven , you can also use pressure cooker. Do not put water. Try this recipe today and i am sure you will love the taste.Happy Cooking !