Tondli Bhaat / Tindora Rice
Tondli, the tender and bright green veggie is also known as Tendli , Tindora or Ivy Gourd . Be it the Tendli fry , Masala Tendli or the authentic Tondli Bhat , this cute looking veggie is simply delicious.
Tondli Bhat or Tindora Rice is a refreshing rice recipe which is not only a full nutritious meal but also a quick one. This recipe is quite common in most of the Maharashtrian households.
Here's the recipe:
- 250 gms fresh and tender Tondli /Tindore-washed and chopped lengthwise
- 2 cups Basmati Rice -washed
- 1 medium sized Onion -chopped
- 4-5 Garlic Cloves
- 1 tablespoon Ginger paste
- 2 tablespoon dry grated Coconut
- 1 tablespoon Garam Masala
- 1 tablespoon Green Chilly Paste
- 1 tablespoon Coriander Powder
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Asafoetida powder
- Salt and Chilly Powder to taste
- Chopped Coriander
- 2 tablespoon Oil
Preparation Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 15 min
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a skillet and fry chopped onions, garlic cloves, garlic paste and grated coconut till they become light brown.Let it cool down then blend the ingredients into a coarse paste . Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a cooker. Add asafoetida and cumin seeds.
- Add the chopped tondli and stir fry till they become bit tender.
- Add the coarse onion paste and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add turmeric powder, coriander powder ,chilly powder and rice.
- Add approx. 3 cups water. Add salt and mix well. Increase or decrease the quantity of water depending on the quality of rice.
- Pressure cook with 2 whistles .
- Garnish with chopped coriander and dry coconut.
- Serve hot with raita .
You can also add fresh green peas or sprouts to enhance the nutritive value. It is also a good option for the lunch box menu if you have a fussy kid :-))
So try it today and do revert with your feedback and suggestions !
HAPPY COOKING !