From the Egyptian Platter -FALAFEL
Whenever we plan a trip, other than the overwhelming feeling of visiting a new place, comes the stress of what am i going to eat during the trip. It may sound bit odd to many but I always have this problem as i am a staunch vegetarian and to many 'a fussy eater'. So, when we planned a trip to Egypt in 2011 , i stuffed my bag with a lot of Theplas and Namkin so that i don't have to starve :-P. I had done an extensive search on the net about the Egyptian food (read Vegetarian Food) and after spending a week there , was absolutely convinced that if Egypt did not have the pyramids, the Nile or the monuments, it would still be worth visiting for the food for all foodies. We tasted a lot of varieties which included : Hummus, Pita, Koshari, Tabouleh ,Tahini and not to forget Falafel. Falafel is a very popular and widely consumed street food which is very yummy. As a main dish , it perks up the Pita pocket (bread) with a lot of salad including lettuce, tomatoes, tahini and olives. I just loved the taste and so thought of making it. Take a look at the recipe:
- 1 cup Dried Chick-peas (soaked overnight in water)
- 4-5 Garlic Cloves
- 4-5 Green Chillies
- 1 medium Onion (finely chopped)
- 1 small katori Chopped Coriander
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Powder
- 1 teaspoon Fennel Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Powder
- Red Chilli Powder to taste
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 katori Bread Crumbs
- Oil for Frying
Cooking Time : 20 mins
- Drain water and put the chickpeas in a mixer jar. Add green chillies & garlic cloves . Grind without adding water to a coarse paste.
- Put this mixture in a mixing bowl and add chopped onions, chopped coriander, pepper powder , chilli powder, cumin powder, fennel seeds, coriander powder , salt and bread crumbs.
- Mix well. Make small balls from this mixture and flatten a bit.
- Heat oil in a pan. Deep fry these patties on medium flame till golden brown.
- Serve hot with Hummus(will share the recipe soon) or Tomato ketchup with lots of salad.
If you don't have time to soak the chickpeas, you can make the same dish with frozen peas. Using green peas makes it quite simple and easy without any change in the taste. So what are you waiting for?? Try the recipe and give a heavenly treat to your taste buds. HAPPY COOKING !!