Moong Daal Idli
South Indian food is loved by all. It is not only tasty but also light on the stomach. Dosa, Uttapam, Uppittu ,Mysore Masala Dosa, Rava Dosa ..the list goes on and on.Since my childhood ,Idli-sambar has been my favorite dish. The soft and fluffy idlis with coconut chutney just melt in mouth.
Most of the people love idlis but when it comes to make batter at home, the process of making it right, may seem daunting. Also, sometimes you may get bored of the usual taste. So to break the monotonous preparation, I made these Moong Daal Idlis.I must say, I was bit skeptical about the result but it actually got ‘thumbs-up’ from all in the family. Here comes the recipe:
- 2 cups rice
- 1 1/2 cup Split Green Moong Daal
- 1 small katori Curds
- 1 teaspoon Ginger Paste
- 1 tablespoon Green Chilly Paste
- 1 teaspoon Fennel seeds
- Salt to taste
- Oil for greasing
- Soak moong daal and rice separately for 2-3 hours.
- Grind the moong daal and make sure the paste is bit coarse .
- While grinding rice, make sure the batter is smooth and not too watery. Add the rice batter to moong daal batter along with salt.
- Now add curds and mix well with hand till everything is homogeneous.
- Cover the batter and keep it aside for 2-3 hours.
- Now add ginger-chilly paste, fennel seeds and mix well.
- Grease the idli plates with little oil and fill them 3/4th, giving room to rise while steaming.
- Steam for 15-20 minutes. Let them cool down for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve hot with chutney or ketchup.
You can also add sweet corn kernels , carrot or veggies of your choice.This is also a great recipe for your champs lunch box. So try it today and i am sure you will love it too.
HAPPY COOKING !!