Coconut & Dates Payasam
Who says Social Networking is just a means to kill time. The status messages & posts can give you a food for thought LOL...and new ideas too. Something similar happened with me when one of my friend ,who also happens to be a cooking enthusiast, posted about Payasam. So I decided that this weekend i am surely going to make something similar. Also, I had to make some use of the Rakshbandhan Nariyal so i made this Coconut & Dates Payasam recipe which was very well appreciated . Take a look at the recipe:
- 1 cup freshly grated coconut
- 10 Dates (soaked in milk or water for 2-3 hrs)
- 11/2 cup full cream milk
- 1 medium katori grated Jaggery
- 1 teaspoon Cardamom Powder
- 1/2 katori finely chopped dry fruits(Cashews, Almonds, Charoli , Raisins)
Preparation Time: 15 mins.
Cooking Time: 25 mins
- Mash the soaked dates and keep them aside.
- Boil the milk in a thick bottom pan for 5 mins. Add mashed dates and grated coconut. Boil for another 5-7 minutes.
- Now add grated jaggery and chopped dry fruits.Mix well.
- Let the mixture boil on medium flame till the jaggery completely dissolves in milk and the coconut is cooked.
- Make sure to stir it regularly to make sure the jaggery is not stuck at the bottom.
- After the mixture is cooked, it will give a rich sweet aroma. At this point , add cardamom powder and switch off the gas.
- Serve hot with a garnishing of Pure Ghee.