Mix Daal Appe
Appes are usually made with Rice and Urad daal with tempering of chopped onions, mustard seeds and green chillies in a special mould . The gol-matol appe taste best when served hot with a chatni of your choice. This was the first time i tried making appe and thought of experimenting a bit with the batter.I made the batter with mixed daal and must say the result was awesome. Take a look at the recipe:
- 2 cups Raw Rice
- Mix Chana Daal, Green Moong Dal, Yellow Moong Daal & Massor Daal to make 1 cup quantity
- 4-5 Curry leaves
- 4 Green Chillies -finely chopped
- 1 medium Onion -finely chopped
- Chopped Coriander
- Mustard Seeds
- A pinch of Asafoetida
- Salt to taste
- Wash and Soak the rice and daal for at least 5 hours.
- Drain and grind to smooth paste by adding water.
- Cover and let it ferment overnight.
- Next day, heat oil in a pan. Add asafoetida and mustard seeds. Let them splutter.
- Add curry leaves, chopped chillies and chopped onion. Saute till the onions turn golden.
- Add this to the fermented batter. Add salt & choope coriander.mix well. Now the batter is ready to make appe.
- Grease the appe mould and heat tit on medium flame.
- Pour a spoonful of the batter into each mould.
- Cook till the outer surface becomes golden brown and starts leaving the mould.
- Turn each appe upside down with fork so that the other side also gets cooked.
- Serve hot with coconut chatni, green chatni or ketchup.
HAPPY COOKING !!