Red Pumpkin Fritters

Everyone seems to have memories associated with food. I am sure that like me , each of you must be having the minutest details of your life associated with the sight or smell of particular foods. The childhood memoirs seem almost incomplete without remembering the food list which includes my brother's favorite gulabjamuns , my dad's favorite matar-pakoda, my mom's favorite pickle , my friend's favorite paratha and what not.
One such memory associated with red pumpkin is still fresh . My brother , who was quite a fussy eater - disliked red pumpkin or bhopla like anything. The sheer mention of the veggie in the menu came with an instant declaration of ' i am not hungry'  from him :-)
One day my mom made these भोपळ्या चे काप or red pumpkin fritters  and Voila !!! my brother instantly liked it. 
So this weekend when nostalgia engulfed me ,I smiled and thought of making these fritters . Kaap in marathi means slices. These crispy kaaps are not only absolutely yummy but also very easy to make  . Take a look at the recipe:

Ingredients:
  • 250 gms Red Pumpkin
  • 1 medium katori Gram Flour(Besan) 
  • 1/2 katori Semolina(Rawa)
  • 1-2 tspn Red Chilli Powder
  • 2 tspn Coriander Powder
  • 11/2 tspn Cumin Powder
  • 1 1/2 tspn Turmeric Powder
  • Salt to taste
  • Oil for shallow frying
Preparation Time: 10 mins

Cooking Time: 10 mins

Serves: 4

Method:
  • Make medium slices of the pumpkin and keep it in water
  • In a platter , mix all ingredients other than oil
  • Drain water from pumpkin and place the slices on a kitchen towel so the excess water gets soaked
  • Now put the slices in the mixture and press gently so that each slice gets evenly coated with the mixture. Repeat for other side of the slice as well
  • Heat a pan on medium flame . Shallow fry the coated slices by covering them with a lid for 5 minutes
  • Fry till they become crisp from both sides 

Serve hot as a side dish or serve them as a starter with your favorite chatni or sauce.

HAPPY COOKING !!!


Chandana Mungre Kashid
My Contacts
Twitter Facebook Page pinterest

Comments

Popular Posts